FORUM FOR ANTHROPOLOGY AND CULTUREANTROPOLOGICHESKIJ FORUM
RUS | ENG
Submissions and reviewing policy
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS
The journal will consider for publication previously unpublished works in the fields of Cultural Anthropology, Ethnography, Sociolinguistics and Folkloristics. Since the journal describes itself as a forum, preference will be given to articles that are discussion based. The following will not be considered for publication:
- Theoretical articles that are not based on empirical research.
- Reviews of conferences that summarise the content of presentations. The journal only publishes discussion based reviews that consider an academic event from the perspective of its role in its academic field.
- Book reviews that consist mainly of paraphrasing the work in question. Preference is given to reviews that share constructive criticism.
By submitting their work to the journal, authors guarantee that it has not been published elsewhere (including on the Internet), and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere. Authors must also refrain from publishing any text submitted for publication in this journal until the reviewing process is complete. Articles and reviews accepted for publication may be placed on personal websites etc. only after they have appeared in the journal, and only with due acknowledgement of the original publication in Antropologicheskij forum / Forum for Anthropology and Culture.
By authorizing the final version of the paper (proofs) the author automatically signs a contract with the journal Antropologicheskij forum / Forum for Anthropology and Culture (henceforth AF). The contract includes delegating the rights for the paper to the journal, and implies that the author agrees to the following:
- that the paper will be published in the printed version of the journal as well as posted to the open access site of AF according to the license Creative Commons BY; this means that any republication of the paper is possible only with reference to the first publication in AF;
Publication will not be compensated monetarily.
Texts may be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or submitted on a diskette/CD in IBM PC format.
The following information must be provided for publication:
- Full name of each author
- Place of employment / study
- Email address
- Transliteration of the author’s full name in Roman letters (if the name is in Cyrillic)
- Title and address of the institution where the author studies or works (in English)
- Translation of the article title (in English)
- Abstract of the article in Russian and in English (150–250 words each). The abstract should reflect the main content of the article and should be informative (not just general words), structured (include goals and aims, methods, results, and conclusions), and cohesive (use logical transitions). Footnotes and abbreviations should not be used in the abstract.
- English translation of the bibliography (without transliterations of Russian titles). If Russian translations of publications originally written in English are being cited, then the original must be cited in the English language abstract.
- Articles should not be longer than 9,000 words (60,000 characters with spaces) for articles or 3,000 words (20,000 characters with spaces) for reviews.
- The preferred word processor is Microsoft Word. The article should be in Times New Roman font, 12 point, one and a half spaced throughout (including quotations, references, and notes). Non-standard fonts must be attached on a diskette or sent by e-mail.
- References to publications should be made in-text, according to the author-date system (placed within square brackets): [Black 1999: 28]. For archival sources: [GAVO. F. 247. Op. 1. D. 408. L. 2–4].
- Explanatory notes (elucidations and additions to the main text) should appear as footnotes, numbered consecutively. References to publications in the footnotes should be presented in the same way as in the main text.
- A bibliography in alphabetical order must be attached to the article. Archival sources are listed separately and should indicate the document title and year.
GAVO. F. 247. Op. 1. D. 408. O voprosakh, rassmatrivaemykh na sel’skikh skhodakh po Dvinitskoi volosti. 1901 g. [Matters Discussed at the Village Assemblies for Dvinitskaya Volost, 1901].
Jones W., Ojibwa Texts. New York: G. E. Stechert & Co., 1919, 777 pp.
Dikova M. ‘The Archaeology of Ushki Lake, Kamchatka, and the Pleistocene Peopling of the Americas’, Science, 2003, vol. 301, pp. 501–505.
Chapters in books
Hessler J., ‘Cultured Trade: The Stalinist Turn towards Consumerism’, Fitzpatrick S. (ed.), Stalinism: New Directions. London: Routledge, 2000, pp. 182–209.
Baranov D. A., ‘Этнографический музей и “рационализация системы”’ [The Ethnographic Museum and the “Rationalisation of the System”], Этнографическое обозрение, 2010, no. 4, pp. 26–43. (In Russian).
Durkheim d’É., Les règles de la méthode sociologique. 1e édition. Paris: Les Presses universitaires de France, 1967, 149 pp.
Kosheleva О. Ye., Люди Санкт-Петербургского острова Петровского времени [People of St Petersburg Island during the Time of Peter the Great]. Moscow: OGI, 2004, 486 pp. (In Russian).
Sokolovsky S. V., ‘Автоэтнография и антропологические исследования науки’ [Autoethnography and Anthropological Studies of Science], Антропология академической жизни [Anthropology of the Academic Life]. Moscow: Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology Press, 2010, vol. 2, pp. 24–42. (In Russian).
All abbreviations should be written out in a separate list at the end of the article.
All illustrative material should be submitted in its original format (if submitted by post, no Xerox copies, please). The illustrations should be labeled on the reverse side with the author’s name, the title of the article, and the number of the picture. If the illustrations are in electronic form (*jpg, *tiff, resolution no less than 300 dpi), then the file numbers should correspond to the in-text numeration of the illustrations. A list of illustrations with their full captions should be provided with the article. Audio and video materials can be submitted in mp3 and avi format respectively.
All articles submitted to the editorial board will be subject to peer review. The general editor will choose a reader with the approval of the members of the editorial board. The reader will be chosen based on their expertise in the field of the material to be reviewed, and their publications on the topic in recent years. Readers are not compensated monetarily for reviewing articles.
The editorial board asks readers to send their reviews within a month after receiving the article for peer review. Articles are sent to the readers anonymously (without indicating the author’s name).
Reviews will evaluate the following
- originality of the research question
- depth of the research material
- author’s knowledge of the necessary theoretical and methodological context
- cogency of the author’s arguments and reflections
- logic of the narrative sequence and flow
Regardless of the character of the review, it should be written in a considerate manner and contain constructive criticism for the author on how to improve their research.
All articles submitted to the editorial board will be subject to double-blind peer-review. The general editor, with the approval of the editorial board, will make the decision whether to publish the article, send it back to the author for further revision, or reject it. Negative reviews must be sent to the authors. Reviews are sent anonymously (without indicating the reader’s name). The time provided to the author to revise the article after peer review should be negotiated with the general editor.
The reviews are kept at the editorial board for five years. Copies of reviews will be sent to the Russian Federal Ministry of Education and Science upon request.
Editorial Office of the Journal Forum for Anthropology and Culture:
About | Editorial Board | Editorial Staff | Antropologicheskij forum - current issue | Previous Russian issues | Online issues | Forum for Anthropology and Culture - current issue | Previous English issues | Next Forum | Submissions and reviewing policy | Ethical Standards | Buy / Subscribe | Contact Us | English Summaries of Russian Version | Find Us on Facebook |
© 2010-2017. "Forum for Anthropology and Culture" All rights reserved